Back Country Film Festival
- Old St. Francis School - Old St. Francis Theater |
- Friday, January 18, 2013
- 8:30 p.m. doors; 9 p.m. screenings |
- $10 per person |
- 21 and over
Tickets on sale now!
About Back Country Film Festival
Celebrate the Season with the 8th Annual Winter Wildlands Alliance Backcountry Film Festival
Winter is upon us and once again the Winter Wildlands Alliance Backcountry Film Festival is answering the call. Wax those skis, tune those boards and gather your friends! There is no better way to celebrate the fun and beauty of winter than with the Eighth Annual Backcountry Film Festival, a true celebration of winter played and lived as told thru the seven unique films.. The Backcountry Film Festival will be in Bend, Oregon, at McMenamin's Old St Francis School on Friday January 18th. The evening will serve up the best raffle in town, ice cold brews and mountains of winter inspiration to prove once again that Winter Rocks!
The films come from renowned filmmakers who search backcountry corners across the globe to submit their best work, and from grassroots filmmakers who take a video camera out on their weekend excursions and submit their best film short. The entries are juried by a panel of judges and the top selections are assembled into a 90-minute program.
The festival was created eight years ago to highlight Winter Wildlands Alliance's efforts to preserve and promote winter landscapes for human-powered users. From a single showing in Boise that first year, the festival has grown to include showings in locations throughout the United States, Canada and overseas to Antarctica, Europe, Australia and Asia. Funds raised stay in local communities to support like-minded, human-powered recreation efforts and to raise awareness of winter management issues, avalanche training/safety and winter education programs.
This year's program includes seven films:
- Winner of the Best of the Backcountry award, Skiing the Void from Sweetgrass Productions is a reflection on taking chances during their two-year odyssey in the Andes.
- A festival cut of Further, from Teton Gravity Research, brings the return of Jeremy Jones and friends to push the limits of their mountain experience under their own power.
- Luc Mehl, winner of the Hans Sari Scholarship and winner of this year's Best Grassroots Film, chronicles an epic trip across the wild in Alaska Wilderness Classic.
- A Story of Trust is a call for climate recovery from a nine-year-old activist and the winner of this year's Best Environmental Film.
- Denali Experiment is a look at a different type of expedition film from Camp4Collective.
- From Switchback Entertainment comes Freedom Chair, an athlete's journey back to the slopes and his love of winter.
- Unicorn Sashimi from Felt Soul Media highlights the amazing winter snowscapes of Japan
This event is hosted by Winter Wildlands Alliance and Bend Backcountry Alliance. All proceeds will benefit these organizations. Grab a buddy and come join us! Get your ticket in advance as this event will sell out. Tickets available at cascadetickets.com and order by phone at (855) CAS-TIXX.
Map & Directions