One of the favorite hangouts for Kennedy students was the 30th Avenue Dairy Store, owned by the DePue family. Located at NE 30th and Alberta, near the movie theater, it was a great spot to get ice cream on a hot day.
Mrs. Inez Palmer taught at Kennedy School longer than most and remained a popular teacher throughout the years. Many of her former students were delighted to see her at McMenamins' 1997 grand reopening of the school. This photo is from 1946.
In addition to the Kennedy School, John D. Kennedy was instrumental in bringing the St. Charles Catholic Church to the neighborhood. Seen here around 1940, its original location was NE 33rd and Webster.