Gearhart Golf Links
Oregon's First Public Golf Course
We've got all 2017 Tourneys planned—check them out!
Gearhart Golf Links is an 18-hole, public course – everyone from daytrippers to pub guests to professional golfers are all welcome!
The course, opened in 1892 as 3 holes strewn across the sand dunes, is the oldest course in the Pacific Northwest. The course retains a classic flavor, with a hint of traditional Northwest design features. It plays 6218 yards from the back tees and 5353 yards from the front tees. Services include McMenamins' full-service restaurant and bar, pro shop, golf instruction, power carts and clubs for rent. Annual memberships are available.
For tee times, call (503) 738-3538
History of the Course
abridged from gearhartgolflinks.com
Legend has it that Gearhart Golf Links began life in about 1888, starting out as a few holes of true links golf amongst the seaside meadows that characterize the North Oregon coast. Golf, somewhat new to the U.S., came to Gearhart by way of visitors to the bustling resort who had experienced the game in Europe and found Gearhart's meadows the perfect setting. By 1892, golf was a regular pastime for guests of the Hotel Gearhart on the 3-hole course just across the street.
In 1901, at the hands of Marshall Kinney, Gearhart was officially opened as a 9-hole course. In 1913-1915, Gearhart grew to 18 holes and began a long heritage as one of the state's premiere golf venues. Between 1926 and 1935 the course underwent a series of changes, including a redesign by Chandler Egan resulting in the layout that remains relatively unchanged today.
Gearhart Golf Links began as a classic example of early links golf. For over a century it has stood as a landmark of the game's origins in Oregon and the western United States. Today, Gearhart Golf Links stands ready to challenge golfers of all skill levels without detracting from the enjoyment of success. With classic styling and rugged windswept features, it remains Oregon's premier link to a rich golf history.